The 1956 Revolution
- 23 October: The Revolution
- Mass demonstration everywhere in the country against the
Stalinist dictatorship. Some of the Communist controlled police
force opens fire, but others both from the police and the army
support the demonstrations: the uprising starts.
- 24-29 October: The Uprising
- Fightings between the rebels and the Communists. Although the Soviet
army gets involved already in this phase, its role is limited
and there are also various attempts to find a peaceful
compromise. However, the Communists gradually lose their control
over the government and the country.
- 30 October - 4 November: The Hope
- Hungary has a government that fully supports the popular demand and
that is supported by the people. Although fighting continues,
the Communists lose ground everywhere and even signs of
consolidation are visible. For a few days
many Hungarians hope that the Soviets may "let Hungary go"...
- 30th October
- Democratic multy-party system is legalized.
- 1st November
- Hungary exits the Soviet controlled military alliance and
- 4 November: The Intervention
- The Soviet intervention means the end of all hopes: although
fighting continues for some time, Communists gain the control
of the country again. In the following months and years
hundreds are executed, thousands are prisoned and about 200,000
Hungarians escape to the West.
For more information click